Five decades ago, community members came together to fulfill a long-held vision…one that would bring a high-quality and well-balanced Catholic education to high school students in the Santiam Canyon and Mid-Willamette Valley.
The names of these founders are engraved on a plaque in the Regis courtyard, honoring their proud and bold legacy.
As the only rural Catholic secondary school in Oregon, Regis High School has been offering a quality Catholic education in the North Santiam and Mid-Willamette valleys for over 50 years. In 1957, a group of laymen known as the Catholic Educational Corporation purchased two parcels of property in Stayton, a total of 31 acres. This was the initial step toward the establishment of Regis High School.
In 1960, a professional fundraising firm was engaged to conduct a survey of the area to determine the feasibility of operating a regional Catholic high school. The project was endorsed by the vicariate parishes of Immaculate Conception in Stayton, St. Boniface in Sublimity and Our Lady of Lourdes in Jordan and their mission parishes. Work began in earnest in 1962 to initiate a campaign and finalize construction and operation plans under the project administrator Rev. Lawrence Saalfeld.
Regis opened its doors in the fall of 1963, with students freshmen through seniors. On October 27, 1963, Regis High School celebrated the Blessing and Dedication led by Principal Rev. Francis Campbell and Archbishop Edward D. Howard.
Regis is blessed with a supportive community, involved and dedicated parents and a professional and talented staff. The strong commitment of subsequent generations has ensured the continuing vitality of Regis High School.